Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Notes from Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I tried to keep class short today since I knew I would have to post everything online too, and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get all the notes up. I covered sections 5.6 and 6.1.

The homework was as follows:

5.6 pg 341: 13-18 all
6.1 pg 360: 3, 6, 7, 17, 20, 23, 24, 29, 30

Section 5.6 was the section talking about polynomial division. The homework is over diving a polynomial by a binomial. The book teaches you to use long division. I prefer using synthetic division because it is easier. I suggest ignoring the book and doing it my way, but that's your choice. I will use synthetic division in the examples below:


Divide a Polynomial by a Binomial: Example 1



I forgot to mention that every time you multiply, you write the number above the line, and every time you add, you write the number below the line.

Synthetic Division: Example 2



These videos are taking a LONG time to load on the page (over an hour for this one) so I will be posting them SLOWLY over the next few days. I may have to limit the number of examples I show you. Keep checking back!!

Synthetic Division: Example 3



Rules for Using Synthetic Division - This is useful to know for College Algebra, but it will not be on the test.




At this point I have uploaded all the notes on synthetic division. You should be able to complete the homework for section 5.6 now. I have a few more examples in my notes. Let me know if you need to see them.

Ok I lied, there was one more set of notes for synthetic division.
Remainder Theorum:


Now I'm finished with synthetic division.

No comments: